14 April 2011

Philippians 2:19-30


19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you. 20 For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. 21 For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22 But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel. 23 I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me, 24 and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also.
25 I have thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, and your messenger and minister to my need, 26 for he has been longing for you all and has been distressed because you heard that he was ill. 27 Indeed he was ill, near to death. But God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. 28 I am the more eager to send him, therefore, that you may rejoice at seeing him again, and that I may be less anxious. 29 So receive him in the Lord with all joy, and honor such men, 30 for he nearly died for the work of Christ, risking his life to complete what was lacking in your service to me.
  The Lord puts people in our lives for reasons.  Some have a positive affect, some have a negative affect; ALL have benefit for helping us to grow in Christ.  I have been realizing over the years that I may not know why people are in my life, but that someday the Lord may reveal it to me.  There are people I have met and not until years in the future do I see why they are, or were, in my life.  People help us to grow for good or for bad.

  Paul mentions two people that have been influential in his life, Timothy and Epaphroditus.  Timothy took to Paul like a son to a father (v.22).  He served with Paul in the Gospel in multiple locations over a long period of time.  Paul will later write to Timothy as he is leading a church.  This is a great depiction of a mentoring relationship that is pointing to Christ. 

  The second person is Epaphroditus.  He we know less about, but his worth is not to be underestimated.  The value that he has given to Paul is shown here, as is his heart for the church of Philippi.  He does not want them to worry about him as he believes Christ to be so much greater than one man.  It is very easy to put people on pedestals and allow them to be the focus of our affection.  Christ should be that focus, not men.  Epaphroditus knew this and wanted the church to know this.

  The last thing that strikes me about this really hit home for me.  v.29 explains that Paul would like the church to receive Epaphroditus “in the Lord with all joy, and honor such men.”  Why do this?  “for he nearly died for the work of Christ.”  This man was a man who wanted to serve the Lord, we should honor that.  We should honor our brothers and sisters in Christ who are not from where we are.  Make them feel welcome.  I have felt nothing but welcome here in Wichita Falls at the church I attend.  The love of Christ is apparent and obvious.  Lord, I am so grateful for you bringing me here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment