29 April 2011

Philippians 4:10-20


10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

  Paul begins by thanking the Philippians for their thoughts, prayers, provision, and overall concern for him.  He is not asking for anything, but thanking them for what they have done.  Paul in fact teaches us a valuable lesson for the Christian life.  The Lord will provide.  He has provided us with what we need up to this point in our lives, have faith he will provide for us for the rest of our lives.  We need to learn to live when we do not have much and when we have plenty.  Excessive spending or undo stinginess may not be prudent.  A lot of it depends on where the Lord is leading us. 

  My wife and I are learning this right now.  We have been talking about selling our home.  Is it right?  We have enough to maintain what we have now, but not a ton more.  If we were to move the Lord would have to provide that opportunity.  We are learning to have faith in Christ that He will guide us.  We are seeking His council in this situation, as we should in every situation.  Either way, we need to be content with where the Lord has put us and with what He has given us. 

  Perhaps one of the most recognizes verses in the New Testament, v13, states “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”  How true this statement is!!  Praise God that we can do things through His strength and not our own.  We are so weak and lowly, as we should be.  However; God is good!!  Praise the Lord for everything He has done.  We view certain situations as good and certain situations as bad.  We should view them as where the Lord has put us.  This life can be and has been won for Christ, lets live in His power, not our own!

  God is truly good.  He will give us all we need in this life.  After all, has He not already given us all we need for the next life?  How great is our God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment