04 February 2011

1 Peter 1:1-7


“… you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith … may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

  Often times I think about the things that I am going through and wonder if this is the hardest it will get.  My life really is not all that bad.  I have a good wife, two wonderful kids, a great church family, and a nice house with some land.  What can really be that wrong? 

  The exiles that Peter was writing to were not given these blessings I have; yet, it seems they were given so much more.  Their faith was tested and shown to be genuine.  Not only that, it brought Praise and Glory and Honor at the revelation of Christ!!  What more can anyone ask for.  SO what does this mean to me?  A person who is living in a relatively free country to worship, raise a family, and prosper.  How can I apply this to my life?    

  Well one thing is for sure, if hardship does befall me and my family we know where to turn.  Today this can take many shapes: serious health issues; loss of my job; house fire; car crash; or even death.  None of these things are to be taken lightly.  Most of them would change my families’ life drastically.  In verse 1 we see Peter mention these people were “exiles” from their home lands.  How changed would my life be if I was plucked from my home, it was taken from me, and I was never allowed to return? 

  Can we compare the things I have mentioned to what the exiles experienced?  A serious health issue or a death in my family would cause a catastrophic change that could never be returned from.  You cannot go back to “normal” from that point on.  Normal would change.  It would totally change our lives.  BUT … we know that God has allowed these things so that our faith may be tested and shown to be genuine. 

  Not only that, but when we go through trials, no matter how big or small, and we are in the midst of them praising God for all He has done for us, it brings Him glory and Him Honor, and Him praise.  Haven’t we been called to bring Him praise with our lives?  That is the purpose of Him calling us out of the darkness to be saved; to Glorify God through the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

  In the midst of trials we must praise Him with everything we have.  In order to make sure that takes place, we need to praise Him now and everyday.  It is important for us to make sure to be in the Word, to Pray, and to Worship Jesus Christ everyday.  The trials we then face we will be able to handle, because of His strength, not ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment