03 February 2011

Leading by Being Led


  As I was traveling last night through a not so populated portion of northern Texas, scanning through the stations as I always do when I drive, I stumbled across the Casting Crows song Praise You in the Storm.  What a powerful picture of what it is to be a Christian.  Praise God for what He has done for us.  Jesus Christ has died for my sins.  He has taken them away and they are no longer counted against me.  That hope has been given to those of us who trust in Him. 

  Being separated from my family for a while is tough.  As I said goodbye to my son and my daughter I couldn’t help but think of what it would be like to say goodbye and never be able to say anything to them again.  That is a thought that has haunted me for a while; but not to the point where I have no hope.  It does not scare me for the reasons you may think.  Most people want to see their kids grow, do well in school, play football, and be successful at work.  No doubt I want to see those things; however, I mostly want to disciple my kids for Christ.  More than anyone else I feel a sense of responsibility to them.  I want to raise them in the fear of the Lord, and I cannot do that if I am not around.  I have never understood what it means to hurt for something you want so badly.  I hurt for wanting my kids to know Christ.

  In leading a family there are many things that should be done and many things that are overrated.  Routines are good at times, but not always feasible.  Time is a big thing.  Think of the person who you respect the most.  Think of someone who you revere.  As we often do in our society, think of the person you put on a pedestal.  Now imagine that person singles you out and says, “I want to spend some time with you.”  What an impact that can have on a persons life.  Now imagine that person pointing to another.  Telling you that they themselves are nothing, but this other person is everything.  How powerful would that be in your life? 

  Leading my family does not start with a five step program or a set routing that you just have to complete and there you go!  It starts with prayer.  It continues in the Word.  It is facilitated through Jesus Christ and your relationship with Him.  Do you want to spend time with Him?  He pointed to the Father.  Do we Worship God as we should?  Who is on the pedestal?  What a struggle!!  I’ve got things that like to tickle my ears and things that like to please my eyes, yet none point to the One that I should focused on.  Lord help me to focus on You so that I can point others to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment