12 February 2011

1 Peter 4:1-11


  There are two points that Peter makes here about living.  We can either live in the flesh, or we can suffer in the flesh, that is, to die to our sins.  Christ suffered in the flesh and was sinless.  We are called to suffer in the flesh and sin no more.  Do not be like the world.  Everything that the world thinks is great has been done before.  Look at the listing in v.3.  This is the same today as it was then.  We are a sinful people who desire to do sinful things.  I am called to Christ; I am called to a sinless life, not of this world. 

  What Peter speaks of next was awesome to me.  People wonder, if we believe in the doctrine of election should we witness?  Yes we should.  First off, we are commanded to; see Matthew 28:19-20.  Second, as Peter points out here, the Gospel is preached to save sinners, but also to condemn the lost.  It will be brought to every tribe tongue and nation.  God is coming to judge those nations.  Praise God that He will look to Jesus Christ when He goes to judge me.

  Here Peter goes again, talking about putting our Hope in Christ.  v.8 Peter explains to love one another earnestly.  v.9 show hospitality.  v.10 use the gifts the Holy Spirit has provided us to serve one another.  v.11 speak the Word, and serve by the strength God supplies.  We need to learn to love each other the way that God has loved us.  That is such a tough thing for me to grasp.  Even though my actions and my sin go directly against God’s desires, He still loves me perfectly.  How can I ever live that way?  Only in His power, that is for sure.  When we do these things though we do them so that God may be glorified.  That is our purpose here on Earth.  Lord help me to Glorify You.

No comments:

Post a Comment