09 February 2011

1 Peter 3:1-7


  “Likewise.”  This is a word that has powerful meaning.  It is instructing us to take the example from before and apply that concept to what is being presented now.  The example that was given previously (2:13-25) was for us as Christians to be subject to the Authority that has been placed over us, to Honor everyone, to love our brothers in Christ, and to Fear God.  Now, knowing that, Peter is going to share with us the next few verses.

  In light of knowing that we should Honor others, love our brothers in Christ, Fear God, and Honor the authority over us, “wives, submit to your husbands.”  What a strong statement this is in light of the way our particular society is in the United States.  How is it that a wife is supposed to submit to their husband?  Especially if he is a jerk!  What if he is not leading in the way that he should?  What if he falls short of his end of the bargain?  Surly a woman should be entitled to live her own life!  That is NOT what scripture teaches.

  Marriage is not something that one should take lightly.  It is something that needs to be taken with the utmost seriousness.  I feel it is necessary to review and talk about this.  Genesis 2:21 states that God brought the woman to man.  v.24 states “Therefore, a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.”  Matthew 19:9-9 (in talking about marriage) states “What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”  But it seems that many people allow for it.  Society is okay with it.  Even the Bible has shown examples of divorce.  But, Matthew 19:8 states that divorce was allowed simply “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And, I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”  The only time it happens is because of the hardness of our hearts. 

  Having that said, “Wives submit to your husbands.”  Wives have been joined to their husband as the church has been joined to Christ.  When two sinners are joined together it can be a difficult thing.  Marriage is not something that just works; it is an active living thing.  It is absolutely vital to work on marriage everyday.  Because two sinners are joined together it is possible that the husband can not lead the couple towards Christ.  Peter addresses this in v.1-2.  “wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives.”  How awesome would it be for a wife to win her husband to Christ?  I know as an extremely sinful husband I stink at leading my family.  I often am discouraged and down on myself.  Have a wife that follows my lead when she is pursuing a relationship with Christ is more encouraging that anything else.  There is nothing even close.  She is my other half.  For her to point me to Christ through her actions, her submission, her “gentle and quiet spirit,” would mean more to me as her partner than anything else ever could.  It is so vital.

  v.7 There is that word again “Likewise” … “Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way.”  What a charge this is.  There are things that are just for men.  It is clear simply by our physical appearances that women are much different than men.  They are clearly weaker in all areas, physically.  That is what this passage is referring to.  My wife has explained how comforted she feels when I hold her.  She feels safe.  This is not uncommon I am sure.  As husbands, men have to be understanding of that.  We need to protect our wives.  Hard to swallow considering where I am right now. 

  There are so many times that I have failed to lead my family in one way or another.  I can feel that strain in my prayer life.  Confession of sin is a huge thing.  Not just to God, but also to my wife and children.  We all sin, that is very apparent.  We need to make sure to lay those sins at the feet of those we sin against.  In this case we are talking about our wives.  I need to show more honor to my wife.  In the past my prayers have been hindered because of this.  It is so disconcerting.  Why not honor her?  She is my wife!!  We will be raised to life because of what Christ has done.  We are His bride.  Lord help me to honor mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment