17 February 2011

2 Peter 1:1-4


  It is great to see the encouragement that Peter gives to the believers he is writing to, of whom we are not sure by name.  He mentions to them that their faith is in equal standing as his.  This is so true.  We are all on an equal playing field.  I mentioned a few days ago that Elders should be treated as members of the congregation just like everyone else.  They are sinners too are they not?  They have been covered by the blood as we have right?  Because of their acceptance of Jesus Christ as their savior they are able to be called Children of God, and when they die and stand before God, He will see Jesus Christ, as He will with all of those that are called.  WHY then do we raise some up above others?  Your gift is as good as mine!  Just because I can lead does not mean I should be dominating of people.  That is not how it works.  I respect people who are quiet and go about their work for the kingdom just about more than anyone else.  They are few and far between.  Find them, thank them, serve them, worship with them, and above all, Praise God for them.  They are in the same place we or anyone else who has been called to Christ.

  Something that really stuck out to me is the fact that Peter is telling these believers (v.3) that God has given us everything that we need in this life to be more like Him.  I often think to myself … “self, how has He given this knowledge to us?”  well keep reading v.3 dummy (that is what I say to myself); “through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence.”  Wow!  So Christ has called us to be His own AND He has given us the understanding of how to be more like Him by simply looking to Him.  That sounds so simple and yet it such a struggle. 

  I am in the middle of reading a book by C.J. Mahaney called Humility: True Greatness.  In it C.J. quotes a Martyn Lloyd-Jones from his book Spiritual Depression “have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself?”  Boy how true is that?!  When I sin, all I can think is “you are such an idiot!” “why would Christ want you?”  I continually beat myself up.  But what am I doing but taking my eyes off of the Cross and the example that Christ set.  But if simply preach the Gospel to myself and let the Lord in, He is right and just to forgive and also to grow me into a more humble and Christlike man.  What powerful words they have spoken to me. 

  So, God has given us everything we need … so what happens by following Him?  It is clear throughout all scripture that the Lord’s purpose in saving people is to bring Himself Glory.  v.4 continues this thought by stating that “so that through them (His promises) you may become partakers of the divine nature.”  This means that His purpose to make us more like Him!!  That is what we should desire throughout our lives in order to bring Christ Glory. 

  Lord I know you came to the earth to die for my sins.  Thank you.  Please help me to be more like You by focusing on You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment